151 Spring Street
Red Bank, NJ 07701
Independent Engine Company organized on February 10, 1880 as the second engine company of the department and was incorporated May 12, 1880. James Welsh was the first foreman and his assistants were Joseph Gardiner and John Norman.
The company was supplied with a handbrake engine housed with Hook and Ladder Company on Mechanic Street until 1898 when it was transferred to a building on White Street leased from Mrs. O. E Davis. In 1910, the town put a new firehouse on Mechanic Street for the Independent Engine Company, at their current location. The company gave up its handbrake engine when the town installed its water supply in 1884 and became a hose company.
Later the borough supplied the company with a large hand-drawn 4 wheel hose carriage. Subsequently, this was converted into a horse-drawn apparatus witha adrop harness attachment. A regulation horse-drawn hose carriage was bought later. In 1912, a Robinson Jumbo triple-piston pump engine and combination hose and chemical apparatus was provided to Independent Engine Company. This equipment had scaling ladders and other small fire fighting tools and accessories. The company also operated an auxiliary motor driven apparatus to take members to and from fires and to carry additional equipment. The first modern American LaFrance apparatus was purchased, in 1927.
In 1952, this American LaFrance truck was replaced with a 1,000 gallon per minute American LaFrance pumper. In 1972, a new American LaFrance, Metropolitan Model 1,250 gallon per minute pumper was obtained to replace the 1952 apparatus.
In March 1995 a new 1994 Seagrave was recieved to replace the 1972 American LaFrance. The old LaFrance was donated to the Middletown Fire Academy where it is still being used for training purposes. The new Seagrave is a 1500 GPM pumper, 6 man enclosed cab with a 500 gallon booster tank. It has a top mount pump panel and a 40-gallon foam tank.
Independent Company's primary fire protection and life rescue responsibilities include the central and eastern areas of the downtown. This area is bound by the Shrewsbury river at the northern side and spans through the town's south-eastern border with the Borough of Little Silver. The company's western boundary is bound by the central portion of Broad Street and spans eastward to the town's eastern border with the Borough of Fair Haven. This area includes a mix of residential homes and buildings, significant part of the Rivercenter retail and business district, the Red Bank Middle school, on Harding Road and Riverview Hospital. A major concern in this area is Reverview Hospital, one of the largest medical facilities in Monmouth County. As all other companies, Engine 93 responds to all general alarms and working fires throughout the Borough.