Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Show All Answers
In order to obtain a firearm, you must meet eligibility requirements and comply with the statutes which govern firearms purchases in the State of New Jersey. https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml
All firearms applications for residents of Red Bank are handled through the Police Department’s Records Bureau. If you need guidance with the application process or have questions, please call 732-530-2712.
Firearms Application Process and Requirements
The process involves making application for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and along the way, requires you to submit to a background investigation by both state and federal agencies, supply references, be fingerprinted, and consent to a mental health records check.
There are two types of purchase permits in New Jersey—the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and the Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
Applicants should anticipate the process taking approximately 30-60 days once all necessary documents are received. Incomplete or missing information may delay the process, as will the failure of your references to respond in a timely manner.
Please begin the process by first make sure your address is in the Borough of Red Bank. Your zip code of 07701 is only for mail delivery and many addresses are in Middletown Township, Shrewsbury Borough, or Fair Haven Borough. You can only make a FARS application to Red Bank if you physically live in Red Bank Borough.
Next Visit the NJSP website https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/Fars and enter the ORI# for Red Bank Borough: NJ0134000
Complete the online application. You will need the email addresses of 2 reputable references.
You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
Once your application is complete, a department representative will contact you when the process is complete. Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered.
The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
If you are obtaining a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card or Permit to Purchase Handgun for the first time, you must also submit the following:
Under 2C:58-3 (c) (11) and (d), the wording of the statute has been amended:
In order to obtain a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, the applicant shall demonstrate that, within four years prior to the date of the application, the applicant satisfactorily completed a course of instruction approved by the superintendent in the lawful and safe handling and storage of firearms. The applicant shall be required to demonstrate completion of a course of instruction only once prior to obtaining either a firearms purchaser identification card or the applicant's first permit to purchase a handgun.
If you are seeking a Permit to Carry a Handgun:
A permit to carry is required for any handgun—concealed or not—and it must be renewed every 2 years.
Only one permit needs to be obtained for all such handguns. Although a written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial numbers of each handgun you intend to carry.
To Begin the application please complete the following steps.
1. REQUIRED – NJ FID Card (New Jersey Firearms ID Card) – If you do not have a New Jersey FID card go to the following site to begin the process, https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
2. REQUIRED – Ownership of a handgun – If you have an FID card but do not have a handgun go to the following site to begin the process, https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
3. REQUIRED - When starting the process for a Permit to Carry application, contact a range or firearms training center where you can schedule a training course in gun safety and a handgun qualification. Upon completion, you will receive documents certifying that you completed the training. You will submit those documents along with your application to your local police department.
NOTE: The required Written Firearms Qualification, in accordance with N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), can be obtained at most firearms ranges throughout the State of New Jersey. A list of shooting ranges for RPO Qualification can be obtained at:
4. REQUIRED APPLICATION– Complete the NJ Permit to Carry Application, and submit it with your qualifications, certifications, and documents to your local police department. The application can be obtained at: NJ PERMIT TO CARRY APPLICATION
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
A. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
B. Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double sided and notarized. SP642
C. Four (4) color passport size photographs.
D. Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066. SP066
E. Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
1. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit, or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
2. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
F. Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
5. REQUIRED – Fingerprinting – all applicants (initial and renewal) for permit to carry a handgun must be fingerprinted. Instructions for fingerprinting will be provided at the time of application
** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
To view these forms, you will need the freely available Adobe Reader software installed on your computer, version 4 or higher.
These are “fillable forms” and may be filled out on your computer. Please note that a fillable form isn’t the same as electronic filing and it is not possible to electronically submit a form—you must print it out after entering the information.
Dumpster permits can be obtained through the Records Bureau Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm after approval by the Traffic Safety Bureau.